The Hugo Awards
1939 Retro-Hugo Awards – instructions for nomination
Please read these instructions carefully before casting your ballot for the 1939 Retro-Hugo Awards.
Eligibility to Nominate
You may nominate for the 1939 Retro-Hugo Awards if, on or before 31 January 2014, 11.59 pm PST (7.59 am GMT on 1 February 2014 – UK time):
- you are an attending or supporting member of Loncon 3 (the 2014 World Science Fiction Convention), and/or
- you are an attending or supporting member of Sasquan (the 2015 World Science Fiction Convention), and/or
- you were an attending or supporting member of LoneStarCon 3 (the 2013 World Science Fiction Convention).
Note: Young adult and military memberships count as attending memberships and are eligible to nominate. Child memberships, day member admissions, and hall passes do not.
All ballots must be received by Monday 31 March 2014, 11:59 pm PDT (7.59 am BST on Tuesday 1 April – UK time). Please submit your ballot as early as possible to ensure that it is received and can be counted.
Paper ballots should be posted to:
c/o Dave McCarty
2617 N Richmond
Taping the ballot shut is permissible in USA domestic mail; however, we recommend posting your ballot in an envelope. Ballots posted from outside the USA must be in an envelope.
How to Nominate (Online or by Post)
- Please fill in the eligibility section.
- To nominate online, you will need your membership number and PIN (this is being emailed to eligible nominators who have requested email communications, and was printed on the address sheet for the posted copies of Loncon 3’s PR2). You can email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to request a PIN.
- If submitting a paper nomination ballot, do not forget to sign it; we will not count unsigned ballots.
- Please type or print clearly. We cannot count illegible ballots.
- You may nominate up to five persons or works in each category. However, you are permitted (and even encouraged) to make fewer nominations, or none at all, if you are not familiar with the works that fall into that category. The nominations are equally weighted: the order in which you list them has no effect on the outcome.
- “No Award” will appear automatically in every single category on the final ballot – there is no need to include that choice on your nomination form.
- If a nominee is not well-known, please provide a source where his or her 1938 work in the relevant category can be found. This information makes identifying the work you intend to nominate easier for us.
- Please note that items may be relocated to a different category by the Hugo Awards Administrator if they are within 20% of the category boundary (such as in the case of the written fiction and dramatic presentation categories).
The final Retro-Hugo ballot, containing the nominees in each category that received the most nominations, will be distributed by Loncon 3 in April/May 2014. Only members of Loncon 3 (including those who join after 31 January 2014) will be eligible to vote in the final ballot.
Works published in 1938 for the first time anywhere, or for the first time in English, are eligible for the Retro-Hugo Awards being awarded in 2014.
Books are considered to have been published on the publication date, which usually appears with the copyright information on the back of the title page. If there is no stated publication date, the copyright date will be used instead. A dated periodical is considered to have been published on the cover date, regardless of when it was placed on sale or copyrighted. Serialised stories or dramatic presentations are eligible in the year in which the last instalment appears.
Extended eligibility for non-US published works: Works initially published outside the United States prior to 1938 are not granted extended eligibility for the Retro-Hugo Awards. (No other specific extensions of eligibility were agreed by the 2013 WSFS business meeting either.)
Other eligibility rules are included with the specific categories. The full rules for the Hugo Awards are set out in the WSFS constitution.
The Loncon 3 Committee has irrevocably delegated all Hugo administration authority to a sub-committee. Therefore, only Dave McCarty, Ben Yalow, Vincent Docherty, Dave Gallaher, Ronald Oakes, Steve Cooper, and Alice Lawson are ineligible for the 1939 Retro-Hugo Awards.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.