1939 Retro Hugo Award Winners
4 January 2015 - the Loncon 3 Artist Showcase is now available to download in PDF format.
1939 Retro Hugo Award Winners
14 August 2014 - Loncon 3 is delighted to announce the 1939 Retro Hugo Award winners.
Record Hugo Participation
7 August 2014 - Loncon 3 is proud to announce that it received 3,587 valid ballots for the 2014 Hugo Awards. More details here.
Cosmonaut at Loncon 3
Programme now available
24 July 2014 - The schedule is now available through our programme guides here.
Hugo Ceremony Hosts announced
17 July 2014 - The 2014 Hugo Ceremony will be hosted by leading science fiction and fantasy authors Justina Robson and Geoff Ryman. More details here
Fantastic partnership with BFI
17 July 2014 - Loncon 3 has joined forces with the British Film Institute to celebrate the UK's long heritage of science fiction and the fantastic on television. More details here
08 July 2014 - LAST CALL: all requests for accessible accomodation must be received no later than midnight Thursday 10 July. More details here
PEN/H G Wells lecture
08 July 2014 - Audrey Niffenegger will give the first PEN / H G Wells lecture at Loncon 3. More details here
06 July 2014 - We're offering a service for booking mobility scooters. More details here
Theatre programme announced
04 July 2014 - We have released full details of our exciting theatre programme. Full details here
Childcare at Loncon 3
Progress Report 4 Now Available
02 July 2014 - Download your electronic copy of our last Progress Report here. Full of essential information for getting to and enjoying the convention.
02 July 2014 - We have a number of specific tasks for which we're seeking volunteers. In most cases no prior experience is needed and it's a great way to meet people and be a part of Loncon 3. Details here
1939 Retro Hugo Voter Packet
01 July 2014 - The 1939 Retro Hugo Voter Packet is now available
20 June 2014 - For a taste of Loncon 3 at a low price, we are offering a limited number of Hall passes for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
15 June 2014 - We are today sending emails to all our programme participants with a first draft of their schedules. It's going to be an amazing programme!
Membership rates to increase on 14 July
10 June 2014 - Loncon 3 membership rates will rise on 14 July: Adult rates increase to £135 (US$225); family rates become £300 (US$500); all other attending rates also rise. Join now to beat the increase! Full details here
Additions to 2014 Hugo Voter Packet
10 June 2014 - The voter packet has been updated to include new material in the following categories: Fan Artist, Related Work, Short Story, Novelette and Novella. Members can download the packet here.
Hugo Voting Now Open
Worldcon Philharmonic Orchestra
03 June 2014 - The highlight of Loncon 3's music programme will be a concert by the Worldcon Philharmonic Orchestra
Masquerade and costumes at Loncon 3
03 June 2014 - If you love costumes and costuming, check out our new information about the Masquerade and Hall Costumes at Loncon 3. You can register today! More details
Loncon 3 Code of Conduct
Loncon 3 exists for the enjoyment and enrichment of the science fiction community. This Code of Conduct seeks to ensure that the behaviour of any individual or group does not disturb other attendees or detract from the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere of the event.
Although we consider our members and attendees to be rational and responsible people, we recognise that issues related to this Code may still arise. We will deal with any issues as promptly, efficiently, and fairly as possible.
We thank you for your assistance in making Loncon 3 an enjoyable experience for all attendees.
Respect for Others
Loncon 3 should be a place where everyone feels welcomed and comfortable.
Discrimination or prejudiced behaviour (based on, but not limited to, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or physical/mental disability) is not tolerated. Harassment of any kind is not tolerated. If someone tells you “no” or asks you to leave them alone, your interaction with them is over.
Dealing with Harassment
If you feel that you are being harassed or subjected to prejudiced or unwelcome behaviour, or if you notice someone behaving inappropriately (such as violating hotel or convention policies), we respectfully suggest the following:
- If you feel comfortable doing so, point out the inappropriate behaviour to the person(s) involved. Often this will solve the problem immediately.
- If you do not feel comfortable talking with the person(s) involved or if talking to them does not resolve the issue, please report the situation immediately to Operations. Try to provide a name, badge name/number and/or physical description of the person(s) involved.
Loncon 3 recognises that harassment or unwelcome attention can be deeply unpleasant, and our priority is to provide the maximum support for anyone who has had a negative experience. We will therefore have a team of specially selected and briefed convention staff known as “Listeners”.
- provide you with a quiet space to talk in private
- listen to your concerns
- explain the options that are available
- support you in exercising these options.
Please refer here for more information.
Loncon 3 reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to take such actions as it feels appropriate where any individual or group is found to have breached this Code of Conduct. These actions include, but are not limited to:
- talking with all parties involved and attempting to mediate a solution
- issuing verbal warnings
- revoking memberships and requiring that the person(s) leave the event
- involving hotel or facility staff or security
- reporting the matter to local police
- banning membership of, and attendance at, the remainder of Loncon 3 (including any post-Loncon 3 events).
Loncon 3 reserves the right to revoke membership and to eject anyone at any time from the convention without a refund. Loncon 3 also reserves the right to pass details of warnings and expulsions to organisers of future Worldcons for their information and decision-making about future memberships.
Loncon 3 is an event open only to people who have attending memberships, day admissions or other passes issued by the convention. All attendees must wear their badge/wristband while in convention space, in such a way that it is clearly visible.
The person to whom a badge/wristband was issued is responsible for its use. If a badge is lost, there will be a £30 charge for a replacement.
Children aged 6 or older must have a purchased membership or day admission for the convention, while children aged 5 and under must be registered as Infants. All children under 12 should be accompanied by an adult.
General Rating of the Convention
All convention areas are open to members of all ages, with the exception of events, exhibits or items that are specifically noted to be inappropriate for minors and to which access is controlled.
Privacy, Photographs, and Electronic Recordings
Please be aware that photography, video and/or audio recordings are frequently made by Loncon 3 during proceedings. The likenesses of convention attendees and members may appear in those recordings. Attendees and members agree to assign without compensation the use of their likeness in promotional material.
Please be polite and ask before taking photographs or recordings of members and attendees whenever possible. Video and audio recording and photography for personal archival use only is generally acceptable, unless individuals make it clear that they do not wish to be photographed or recorded, either by wearing a 'no photography' badge or by any other means. In that case, any specific photography or recording of them is expressly forbidden. Anyone who persists in filming/recording/photographing Loncon 3 members who have denied their consent will be expelled from the convention.
This Code of Conduct applies equally to use of social media such as (but not limited to) Facebook and Twitter. Online harassment of, or prejudiced conduct towards, another member of the convention will be treated in the same way as face-to-face misconduct.
Members of the press are expected to abide by this Code of Conduct and also by our Press Policy which can be found here.
Sales of Merchandise
The offering for sale of any merchandise at the convention may be undertaken only in designated spaces with permission from the convention.
Anyone who owes an outstanding balance to Loncon 3 (e.g. outstanding payment on a membership instalment plan or dealer table rental) must settle that balance before being permitted to attend the convention.
Smoking is not allowed in any public buildings, including restaurants and bars. Please note that ExCeL does not allow the use of electronic cigarettes inside the building.
- Pets: with the exception of assistance dogs, pets are not allowed in the ExCeL.
- Alcohol: the bar in the Capital Hall (Loncon 3 Fan Village) will be serving alcohol. It is permitted to bring drinks in plastic glasses out of the Capital Hall, but you cannot take them into the Exhibits Hall (which contains the Dealers’ Zone, Art Show and displays).
- The legal drinking age in UK is 18.
- Signs: signs can be put up in the convention space, but not in the public areas of ExCeL.
No actual weapon, or any item that can be mistaken for one, may be carried either openly or concealed at any time on properties being used for Loncon 3, with the following exceptions:
- If you want to carry a weapon or are unsure whether your weapon might be considered realistic, you must present it to Operations. They are the final arbiter of whether the item may be carried and whether it requires peace-bonding.
- Any actual weapon, or any item that can be mistaken for one, that you have purchased in the Dealers’ Zone must be wrapped and immediately transported to your accommodation or vehicle. If you want to carry the item at the convention, please refer to the previous point.
- If an actual weapon, or any item that can be mistaken for one, is part of your Masquerade costume, you must transport it to and from the Masquerade Green Room wrapped securely unless the item is peace-bonded. The Masquerade director must approve your use of any weapons during the Masquerade.
- Live steel is prohibited under all circumstances. Operations are the final arbiter of what constitutes live steel.
- Any weapon, whether actual, realistic, or toy/prop, that is used in a threatening or harmful manner may result in confiscation of the item and/or removal of your membership or pass without refund.
- The only allowable variation to this policy will be for any convention scheduled programme demonstrations and sanctioned activities in designated areas at specific times, which have been risk assessed.
Failure to adhere to any of the above policies is grounds for the removal of your membership or pass without refund.
Loncon 3 reserves the right to amend these rules at any time without prior or posted notice and reserves the sole right of interpretation.
Please keep in mind that these rules involve, of course, “worst-case” scenarios and are put in place to ensure the safety and comfort of our members. They are not all-inclusive; in all cases, the singular rule that supersedes all others is:
Any action or behaviour that:
- is illegal, or
- causes significant interference with convention operations or excessive discomfort to other attendees, or
- adversely affects Loncon 3’s relationship with its guests, its venue, or the public
is strictly forbidden and may result in revocation of membership and/or attendance privileges.